Diet Plan for Pregnant Women
There is no doubt about the fact that every person must make it a point to have a healthy diet and nutritious food. But this fact becomes even more important for women who are pregnant.
The needs of the body in terms of nutrition changes when a female gets pregnant. Eating healthily during pregnancy will help the baby inside the mother’s womb to grow and develop properly.
In fact, a healthy diet and lifestyle during pregnancy also ensure good health for the mother. There is no need for a special diet during pregnancy but the following healthy diet plan for pregnant women can be followed:
- A pregnant woman should eat a variety of foods to get the right mix and balance of nutrients.
This will also help the baby in growing at a correct pace.
- Vitamins and minerals and very important to be taken and sometimes their requirement is not fulfilled by the foods we eat. Thus supplements containing vitamins and minerals can be taken during pregnancy (you will find some helpful articles below).
Fruits and Vegetables:
- Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables during pregnancy is a must as they provide with the needed quantities of fiber, vitamins as well as minerals.
These foods also help in digestion and prevent a pregnant woman from becoming constipated.
At least 5 portions of fruits and vegetables must be consumed by a pregnant woman each day.
Vegetables must be cooked lightly in little quantity of water so that their nutrients are not lost.
- Starchy foods or carbohydrates are other components which must be included in the diet of an expectant woman.
She can have bread, potato, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals, noodles, maize, sweet potatoes and yam etc. These foods must form the main part of every meal.
- Every pregnant woman must make it a point to have some protein every day. It can be taken in the form of meat, fish, poultry, nuts, eggs, beans or pulses.
- Dairy foods must also be given to a pregnant lady and she can include milk, cheese, yoghurt etc in her diet. It is important to choose low-fat varieties of these foods whenever possible.
Foods which are High in Sugar or fat or Both as well:
- Some of such foods items include oils, salad dressings, chocolate, cakes, crisps, biscuits, fizzy drinks and puddings etc.
Some other foods which form a part of a healthy diet of a pregnant woman are healthy snacks like sandwiches, pita bread etc.